Our Volunteer Vacations combine service and fun. While our primary goal is to uplift under-served and disenfranchised African American communities, we also find time to fellowship as a group and enjoy the local tourist attractions of the destination city. Our community service projects range from working with local chapters of Habitat For Humanity by building new homes for low-income families to painting schools and cleaning up recreational parks for youth.
What Volunteers Need to Know
- While the majority of our volunteer projects take place in the United States, T.R.I.P. may travel to international destinations that are in need of our support.
- Destination sites are selected after conducting an in-depth needs-assessment with community leaders and/or community development corporations in a particular city.
- Each volunteer pays for his/her own travel to the destination site, including airfare and accommodations, as well as a minimal participation fee.
- Volunteers are asked to donate at least 3 – 4 days to participate in a community service project.
- Volunteers do not need to have any previous experience in construction, just an eagerness to learn.
- Volunteer ages 16 and older are welcome to join us but must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
- Every volunteer-vacation includes leisure time so that volunteers can take advantage of recreational and/or tourist attractions in the city.
What does T.R.I.P. handle for its volunteers?
- Selects hotel for volunteers and arranges for discounted rates for the volunteers.
- Provides each volunteer with a continental breakfast and lunch at work sites.
- Facilitates ground transportation for volunteers to and from the hotel to the work sites.
- Provides volunteers with basic supplies for the work activity, such as work gloves, face masks, hand sanitizers, etc.
- Provides volunteers with a T.R.I.P. t-shirt and special giveaways.
Note: Funding for volunteer travel and accommodations is currently being sought via government and private grants, but is not guaranteed.